The Sustainable Sports Program (SSP) hosted its Recycling and Replanting for Goodness event last weekend. The event is about recycling preloved football gear and providing donors with a tree sapling to plant. Last year, during the pilot, the event was held only at Northbridge Oval. This year the event was also held at Blackman Park, Lane Cove West and Warrimoo Oval, St Ives Chase. The SSP Youth Ambassadors registered with the Program ably assisted at all three sites.
Eamon Corry is one of the Youth Ambassadors who manned the Northbridge Oval site. In his own words, he has shared:
It was such a positive morning on Saturday, 4th of December sorting the donations of preloved football gear that included plenty of boots, shirts, shorts, socks, and even soccer balls at Northbridge Oval. It feels great to be part of a local grassroots movement which is assisting in reducing landfill, recycling football gear to less fortunate rural NSW communities and giving out tree saplings to our donors to plant in their backyards. The tree saplings were kindly donated by the community garden located at the Coal Loader in Waverton.
“The problem of climate change is the biggest the human race has ever faced, but if everyone does their part through local community events like this, it is one we will surely overcome” Eamon Corry U13 Northbridge FC Bulls.
RECYCLE YOUR SPORTS GEAR TO SUPPORT RURAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS PROGRAMS IN RURAL NSW AND PLANT A FREE TREE!
The Sustainable Sports Program team are running a special RECYCLE, RE-PLANT FOR GOODNESS WEEKEND Saturday 4th December at Northbridge FC Oval between 8.30-12noon. Please support our initiative, clean out unused soccer gear that still has a life and help us support rural youth health and wellness programs in NSW. What can you donate?
OUR DONATION CHECK LIST
1. Boots that have been outgrown but still in good order
2. Shorts, shirts, jackets, rain jackets in good order
3. Socks, shin pads, sports caps, beanies in good order
1. Give them a good wash
2. Fold and pack them in a recycle shopping bag, paper bag or box
3. Mark approx. age group on your donation
1. Our Sustainable Sports Ambassadors will be coordinating this activity
2. All helpers will wear plastic gloves
3. You can drive in and drop using the driveaway near the BBQ area off Sailor’s Bay Road
4. Our team will be there to unpack and receive your donation
5. All donors to receive a small tree sapling courtesy of COAL LOADER when gear is dropped off!